Return 5% off




Call this rock Banu-lQatil by the Muslim geographer Al-Idrisi (twelfth century), some historians date the origin of the name on the words "bena", Arabic transcription of "pinna", Latin rock, and "laqanti "adjective that comes from" Laqant "Alicante to the Arabs.
On its slopes have been archaeological remains of the Bronze Age, Iberian and Roman times, although the origin of the current strength is to be found in the late ninth century when Muslim domination.
This castle acquires the name of Santa Barbara because his feast day, December 4, 1248, the Arabs took the infant Alfonso de Castilla, future King Alfonso X the Wise. In 1296 he takes possession of all areas and for the crown of Aragon Jaime II, who ordered its remodeling. Almost a century later Pedro IV Ceremonious sends the enclosure is rectified and King Charles I ordered its fortification in the early sixteenth century.
Until the reign of Felipe II the great reform of the castle does not occur with the construction of the units mostly contemplate today. Works lasted from 1562 to 1580, according to Juan Bautista Antonelli projects and Jorge Palearo "The Fratín". Alicante was bombarded in 1691 by the French fleet and the military actions carried out against the castle during the period from 1706 to 1709, when the War of Succession, that was held by the British, the entire enclosure severely affected that he suffered the last military action in 1873 when the armored frigate "Numancia" in the hands of rebels cantonalistas Cartagena, launched their missiles on the town and its castle, which would be desartillado twenty years later.
Until 1963, it was open to the public, was in a state of neglect. It was in that year when the two lifts that make a tour inside the mountain of 142.70 meters and that is accessed by a tunnel 204.83 m were inaugurated. length born in Jovellanos Avenue, beachfront Postiguet. this castle is divided into three distinct enclosures.
The first one is the highest, is known for "The turret", finding in it the old Tower of Homage, and has the oldest traces of all the strength, some foundations of the eleventh to thirteenth centuries. In this room we contemplate, among others, called Baluarte de los Ingleses, and other dependencies: Engineers Park, Sala Noble, former hospital, Governor's House, etc. The highest esplanade is known for "Macho del Castillo" and there was the old citadel.
The intermediate space corresponds to the most important units completed in 1580: Salón Felipe II, Main Troop opposite the large parade ground behind which the ruins of the hermitage of Santa Barbara, Guardhouse, Baluarte de la Reina are ...
Eighteenth century dates the lower enclosure where we find the Revellín of Bon Repos, which currently functions as parking and where the monument is located the Alicante military illustrious Felix Berenguer de Marquina who was commander in chief of the Philippines and Viceroy of New Mexico. The large coat of white marble (s. XVIII) that is on the gateway to the second chamber was in the Royal Consulate of the Sea, building destroyed by an explosion.
Winter (1 October to 31 March): 10:00 to 20: 00h. Everyday.
April, May, June and September from 10:00 to 22: 00h. Everyday.
July and August 10-22 hours. Days of performances and cycles Castle open until 23.45 h
By lift: Avenida Juan Bautista Lafora s / n.. 03002.
By highway. Gratuitous. Mella Street, s / n. 03013.
General from 10:00 to 19:45 h.
Last rise elevator: 19:20 h.
Last lift down: 19:40 h.
Overall, 2.70 euros.
Free for retirement pensioners attesting to such condition by document.
Phone management 965 147 160
Monday to Friday from 9 to 14 hours
Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.